The last time Kentucky won in Knoxville, Reagan was in the White House, Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go was the #1 song on the charts and gas was $1.20/gallon. Those are the things that are keeping me the most hopeful for this game. Kentucky has already broken their losing streak against Florida this year and I think it seems a little greedy to try to break two long streaks in the same season.
- Right out of the gate Benny Snell runs up the gut for 7 yards. I’m having flash backs of the 2nd half of the South Carolina game already.
- 5 plays 5 touches for Snell. Pretty clear what the game plan will be for the Wildcats today.
- 3rd and less than a yard and we get a huge stop!!! I had no faith on that play
- First play on offense and UK has 8 guys in the box. We go long to Jennings and get a DPI called! Going to have to make UK respect the deep ball to get some offense moving today.
- Aaaand we follow that up with a false start from Richmond. Way too many of those this season.
- Nice burst of speed from Chandler for 12 yards on his first carry of the day.
- Kash Daniel, from Paintsville, KY. Can’t make that up.
- DWA with a drop that would’ve been a first down on our first 3rd down of the day. That would have been a tough catch, but guys that plan on playing on Sundays make those catches.
- 6 plays 6 touches for Snell. He finally heads to the sideline to let someone else touch the ball.
- Someone else touched the ball and lost 3 yards. 3rd and long now
- Wilson scurries around on 3rd down after pressure from the front 4 linemen but comes up 8 yards short of a 1st down. Great stand for the defense
- The defensive stand and a solid return by Callaway gives us good field position, starting from our own 43 yard line.
- Murphy with a long corner route on a nice throw from JG for 38 yards! Loving the offensive aggressiveness with the good field position.
- Another good 1st down run from Chandler.
- 3rd and less than 1 from inside the 10. These have given us problems all year, but JG keeps it for a sneak to get 1st and goal.
- Tim Jordan out of the Wildcat formation and the UK defense knew exactly what was coming.
- 3rd and goal pass completed to Wolf, but we only make it to the 3 yard line.
- Cimaglia nails the short field goal for the Vols to go up 3-0. Would’ve loved to have punched it in for 6, but it’s tough to complain about getting a 3 and out defensively and then following it up by putting points on the board on offense.
- UK comes out looking for a pass and we get pressure with 4 rushers again.
- 3rd and 7 for UK, right where we want them. Unfortunately they pick it up on a quick slant route.
- 3rd and 1 for UK again. It looked like Snell was going to fall behind the line of scrimmage, but of course he finds his balance and gains the first down.
- Snell already with 12 touches and we are still in the 1st quarter.
- That’s the end of the 1st quarter with your Tennessee Volunteers up 3-0 over the Kentucky Mildcats.
UK Ball (cont.)
- First play to start the 2nd quarter is a 3rd and 1 for UK. Guess who gets the carry. Yep, Snell again for the 2 yard gain. We can’t seem to get off of the field this drive.
- Hallelujah! Wilson takes his eye off of the ball and misses the snap for a loss of 8 on 1st down.
- 3rd and 18 play here. We again get pressure on Wilson and he scrambles around like Mike Vick on Madden 04 before he drops it off to Snell for a very short gain.
- Their Freshman kicker, Chance Poore (just seems like a terrible name for a kicker. How can anyone have confidence in him?), lines up to kick the 51 yard field goal and he misses! The Vols keep their 3-0 lead and will have the ball with good starting field position.
- We come out aggressive on 1st down again with a pass downfield to Palmer.
- DWA with a catch on 3rd and 6, unfortunately it was only for 3 yards. We are putting from the UK 34 yard line.
- I expected to have a drop off in the punting game this season after Trevor Daniel left, but Joe Doyle has picked up right where Daniel left off as he pins Kentucky at the 3 yard line.
- Solid defense on 1st and 2nd down to force a 3rd and 7.
- Short completion, but good pursuit by Abernathy to stop him short of the 1st down! It’s always nice to see the other team punting out of their own end zone.
- The punt takes a favorable roll for the Mildcats and we will be starting on our own 36 yard line.
- We go deep again on first down, but can’t complete this one. JG took a shot on that one.
- Josh Allen just way too fast for Tatum on the 3rd and long play to force a punt. The least successful drive on offense to this point.
- We are getting great interior pressure when Wilson drops back to pass.
- Taylor goes untouched for the SACKKKK!!!!!!! 3rd and 16 now
- We only rush 3 on the 3rd down play and give Wilson more defenders to worry about as he throws an in complete pass.
- False start on the punt to make it 4th and 21 now.
- Chandler bust a big run on 1st down! Good vision and good effort at the end to get a few extra yards to put us near midfield.
- JG hits Jennings in stride on a slant route for a nice first down. Jennings limping off the field though.
- A little post play pushing as a Kentucky defenders gives his best Lebron impression on the flop.
- JG just gets the ball off as Josh Allen hits him on a 34 yard pass play to Jordan to get us to the 3 yard line.
- They give Jordan the next carry as he pounds his way into the end zone for a TENNESSEE TOUCHDOWN!!
- The endzone is littered with flags after the TD. SEC Network isn’t giving us any replays to see what the deal is.
- Wow, they just applied an unsportsmanlike conduct to every player on both teams after a UK player threw a punch.
- The PAT is up and it is GOOD. Vols take a 10-0 lead with 2:05 left in the first half. We need a big stop on defense. This is the same point where we started losing momentum against South Carolina by giving up a score before half.
- Taylor with another sack on 1st down! The Vols continue to get pressure without sending the house on a blitz.
- Thompson with a nice break-up to force a 3rd and 17.
- Pressure again on 3rd down! Wilson scrambles to the LOS and slides down to make it 4th and 17.
- Vols call a timeout with 1:09 left as they look to stay aggressive before half.
- We start the drive from our own 28 yard line.
- Pruitt looks like he is giving Helton an earful after the first down incomplete pass to Jennings.
- The Vols look content to run the clock out to half.
- As I type that, Chandler has a nice run near midfield as the Vols call a timeout with 13 seconds before half.
- SEC Network shows a stat that the Vols have held UK to 1 total yard in the 2nd quarter.
- Good movement in the pocket by JG (not sure I’ve ever said those words) to get a pass to Callaway.
- JG avoids a sack to throw the Hail Mary into the end zone where Callaway plucks it out of the air as time expires in the first half!!!
- Great way to close the half out with the defensive stop to the Hail Mary.
- The Vols take a 17-0 lead into the locker room at half time.
- What a first half! Hopefully we stay focused in the 2nd half and continue to take the fight to Kentucky.
- Not a great drive to start the 2nd half. UK dropped two potential interceptions. Kentucky doesn’t care what the score is. They come out of the locker room letting Tennessee know that the 2nd half is going to be a fight.
- Great tackle by Bituli on the WR screen on 1st down.
- Delayed handoff to Snell and the Big Orange Defense was all over it. They probably knew that UK couldn’t go 2 plays in a row without Snell touching the ball.
- UK gets a 3rd down completion, but Warrior hits Bowden immediately to make it 4th and 4.
- After a loss of 2 on first down, Drew Richmond with his 2nd false start of the game. The team doesn’t have too many penalties to this point, but these false starts seem like a recurring problem that has lasted all season.
- Good run by Chandler to make it 3rd and 4.
- DWA with a 5 yard reception to move the chains.
- A little trickery with the reverse to the speedster Murphy for a 59 yard gain to take the Vols down to the UK 16 yard line!!! Again with the aggressiveness/creativity on 1st down tonight.
- Tim Jordan with some Grown Man Yards as he sheds tackles to gain 10 yards to put the Vols in another 1st and Goal.
- WIDE OPEN DWA on the play action pass on 2nd and Goal for the TENNESSEE TOUCHDOWN!!!!
- The Vols take a 24-0 lead over #11 Kentucky with 7:49 left in the 3rd quarter.
- So far this the offense looks night and day different from the battle against Charlotte last week. The coaches are calling creative plays and the players have been executing. As a fan, it is a beautiful thing to see.
- UK continues to try to feed Snell as he gets a first down on his first carry of the drive.
- He gains 2 tough yards on a 3rd and 1.
- The Vols defense has done a good job to this point at making Wilson a non-factor.
- Big hit by Theo Jackson to make sure the UK WR could not catch the 3rd down pass. The Vols defense forces another Kentucky punt.
- Tough sledding for Chandler on 1st and 2nd down to force a 3rd and 10.
- JG can’t find anyone open and decides to tuck it and run for a 5 yard gain.
- Doyle with a 44 yard punt, giving Kentucky good starting field position on their own 40 yard line.
- Snell catches his 6th pass of the night to gain a first down.
- Wilson passes to a wide open WR for a first down to take them into the red zone.
- Very next play Wilson connects with C.J. Conrad for Kentucky’s first score of the night.
- The Vols lead 24-7 with 1:56 left in the 3rd quarter.
- The Vols once again come out aggressive on 1st down looking for Jennings deep, but the UK safety breaks the pass up.
- The JG pass to Jordan falls 2 yards short as the Vols are forced to punt again.
- Good pressure on 1st down forced an intentional grounding on Wilson for a loss of 9 yards.
- UK faced with 3rd and 12….and they gain 13 as the 3rd quarter ends.
UK Ball (cont.)
- UK drops a pass on 3rd down, but the Kentucky offense is staying on the field for 4th and 4.
- UK gains 5 on the 4th down play to move the chains.
- UK hurries to the line and give it to Snell for a 19 yard carry to put Kentucky into the red zone.
- UK attempts a wheel route to Snell in the end zone, but the pass is broken up by Bryce Thompson. Thompson is injured on the play.
- Big break up by Osborne on the 3rd down play!
- UK kicker on to attempt the 30 yarder and the VOLS BLOCK IT!!!!! Bend don’t break!!!
- Huge play by the Vols to deny Kentucky from getting any points.
- Vols come out with a nice play action pass to DWA for a 9 yard gain and Jordan follows up with a carry to gain a first down.
- Chandler with a good run, but fumbles at the end of the run. I am checking every angle to see if he is down, but I’m just not seeing it. We absolutely must take care of the football in situations like this.
- The Negavol in me is thinking of every way that can come back to haunt us.
- TAYLOR WITH ANOTHER SACK!!!! Wilson fumbles the ball and the good guys recover! 3rd sack of the day for Taylor.
- Vols looking to run the ball and drain the clock.
- Jordan with a great 22 yard run on 3rd and 6 to get a first down and continue to milk the clock.
- Madre London in with his first carry and he fumbles!! He ran into his own guy causing the fumble! How do we lose a fumble on back to back drives?
- Shy Tuttle with a big sack, but is called for a facemask. UK ball at UT 30
- My goodness, Taylor with another sack! Wilson just decided to run straight back and Taylor caught up with him.
- Wilson follows up with a 19 yard scamper.
- Osborne with an interception on a bad pass from Wilson!!! Once again the Tennessee defense makes a stand. Now hold on to the ball offense!
- I believe this is the point in the game where UK tell fans pretend they are shooting a basketball and tell Vol fans to “wait until basketball season”. Hopefully we can get some crowd shots of that. Maybe we can get one where we remind them we have a pretty good basketball team too.
- The Vols bleed the clock down to 1:59 before they punt the ball back to UK.
- UK brings the back up QB in to try to run a 2 minute offense.
- Osborne with another interception!
- Osborne tried to lateral the ball to keep the ball in play instead of getting tackled. He is currently getting ripped a new one by Coach Pruitt.
- The most beautiful formation in all of football; the Victory Formation.
- JG takes two knees as the Vols keep the winning streak over the Cats in Knoxville alive.
Great job by the staff having the guys ready to play today, especially after the putrid performance last week. We showed plenty of aggressiveness/creativity on offense today, especially in the 1st half. It was a great win, but I’m sure Coach Pruitt will tell you that we still have a lot of things to improve on and a long way to go to be the team that we want to be. It is always great to beat a rival and put ourselves in a good position to make it to a bowl game. Derek Dooley comes to town next week. Let’s shut his offense down and clinch that bowl game up.
This week’s edition was written by one of my best good friend’s, J.J. Hill. I was unable to watch and was only afforded the ability to listen to about 80% the game. I was being humbled by the sport of Crossfit in a competition.
JOIN US LIVE ON FACEBOOK LIVE AT 7PM EST EVERY MONDAY AND SHARE YOUR OPINIONS WITH US!
Thanks for reading and share with your friends!